Tagged along with my fab friend Ted one Saturday for Chinese Cooking class entitled “Authentic Cantonese Dishes in Stylish Presentation” at the Pearl restaurant of the JW Marriot Jakarta. Is it worth it signing up for one of their classes?
The very accommodating Chef John. We were impressed by his skills in the kitchen. He not only uses his 2 hands but also uses his leg to control the levers of the massive stove!
Master Chef John Chu was our guru for the day and we learned to cook 3 dishes:
- Fried prawns with crispy potato coated with wasabi mayonnaise
- Wok-fried beef tenderloin with shimeji mushrooms and black pepper
- Crispy black and white sesame ball with peanut paste & macadamia nut
It sounds easy enough and most people, myself included, think that Chinese cooking is just frying and sautéing. Boy was I wrong! There is so much preparation that goes beyond the seemingly simple dishes and so many unique ingredients that for me it is a whole new level up. I guess that’s why I cook mostly western dishes hehe
The best part about cooking classes are the meals after. Not only do you get to eat the food in class, but more dishes are added. This one was composed of 7 COURSES! Crazy right? Not bad at all for the price! And yes they tasted as good as they looked. Enjoy drooling over them!
I highly recommend this cooking class if you like chinese cuisine. Chef shared with us many techniques and secrets that is used in their restaurant to ensure good flavor, texture, freshness and quality. For inquiries on cooking class schedules please refer to their contact details below.
I also want to try their Sunday lunch buffet which serves dimsum and lobster. It’s supposedly quite reasonable – around Rp 170,000 ++ / person. Not bad don’t you think?
* Cooking class c/o JW Marriott Jakarta
Pearl Restaurant – JW Marriott Jakarta
- The cooking class was conducted in their Chinese restaurant for Rp 280,000++ / person, inclusive of lunch & certificate of participation
- JL. Lingkar Mega Kuningan Kav E 1.2 No 1&2, Jakarta, 12950 Indonesia
- Phone: +62 21 57988888