The original Spicy Coriander Chicken recipe is from Fast Chicken, a Periplus Mini Cookbook. This is my favorite recipe book for its simple and great chicken recipes. Since white chicken meat is quite healthy, we have it a lot and this recipe book is pretty worn out. Full recipe (4 servings) with my adaptations below. I love how the sugar in the marinade caramelizes & gives the chicken such great flavor.
Ready to eat in 30 mins.
- 1 bunch fresh coriander, including the roots (90 g/3 oz)
- 2-3 gloves garlic (I love garlic so I use 3)
- 2-3 small fresh red chillies (I tried it with this before but it wasn’t for me, so mine is the un-spicy version)
- 1 tablespoon caster sugar
- 2 teaspoons grated lime rind (I use lemon rind)
- 3 tablespoons lime juice (I use lemon juice)
- 2 tablespoons kecap manis (sweet soy sauce)
- 1 tablespoon oil, plus 2 teaspoons extra (I use olive oil)
- 4 chicken breast fillets
- 250 g rice stick noodles (I did not like this recipe as a pasta, I find it much better with rice)
- chopped fresh coriander leaves, extra to garnish
- 1/2 cup unsalted cashews, toasted chopped
- Wash coriander & shake to remove excess water. Roughly chop garlic (and chillies if you want to use em) in a food processor, then add the coriander. Process for 15 more seconds.
- Add sugar, rind, lemon juice, kecap manis, & 1 tablespoon of the oil. Process until smooth.
- Lightly slash the chicken fillets. Place in a bowl & coat with about 1/4 of the coriander mixture. Set aside for 5 minutes.
- Heat a heavy based pan with the extra oil. Cook the chicken fillets for 3-4 minutes each side, turning once, until cooked through. Brush 2-3 times with the marinade while cooking. (I totally sear the chicken on each side because I like that burn smoky taste)
- Cut fillet into strips.
- Meanwhile, cook the noodles in a large pan of boiling water for 5 mins, until tender. Drain and pour over most of the remaining coriander mixture to combine. Divide the noodles among 4 serving plates & top with sliced chicken breast & a spoonful of the remaining coriander mixture. (I usually skip this step & serve the sliced on its own, then serve the remaining coriander mixture in a sauce bowl)
- Garnish chicken with chopped coriander & cashews.
Salad & dressing recipe can be found in a previous post.
Fresh Watermelon Juice
- Slice watermelon meat & take out the seeds
- Process with hand-blender & add some water to lessen the thickness
- Add sugar or in my case, Tropicana Slim low-calorie sweetener.
- Serve with lots of ice