One of the questions new expats ask in Jakarta is where to go for dental treatment. I was really lucky that a friend of mine, who has such a beautiful smile thanks to Dr. Ruby, recommended me to her clinic. Let me describe to you why I love going to Dr. Ruby Karyadi so you can decide for yourself if you would like to check her out.
- English-speaking – She and her staff speak English so making an appointment and discussing dental work detail was a breeze for an expat like me. It’s so scary to have any misunderstanding when it comes to teeth!
- Painless injections – I am normally a scaredy-cat when it comes to pain – sometimes I ask TD to hold my hand while I am getting injections. It’s crazy that I didn’t even realize that I was getting an injection until a part of my mouth started feeling a bit numb.
- Microscopic accuracy – When my molar broke and Dr. Ruby reconstructed my tooth and the other times she examined my teeth, she uses a microscope so she can see every detail and every crack. How cool is that?
- Affordable root canal – If I recall correctly I only paid IDR 1.500.000 for a root canal. That is so much cheaper than what I’ve heard my other expat friends have paid for a root canal in Jakarta. One of my male friends paid around 5 or 6 hundred dollars for one. Can you imagine?
- Orthodontic treatment – It’s nice to go to a dentist who doesn’t just do general dentistry but is also an Orthodontist and Cosmetic Dentist who performs bridges, crowns, dentures, braces, veneer and other procedures.
- Office interiors – Her office is so lovely and clean that it’s more like entering a spa. It’s so relaxing which is nice when one has a broken molar for repair.
I wish I took pictures of her clinic but usually when I go I am also passing by GrandLucky Superstore to do my groceries so I’m always in a hurry.
DIPLO TIP: 1) When going to any dentist be very clear about exactly what you want done AND what you don’t want done before any procedure. You don’t want surprise in your bill afterwards. Don’t be embarrassed to say something like “So today we will just be doing x and y?” 2) Don’t be afraid to ask about the cost of the treatment before undergoing any procedure. These two tips helps make sure you are happy with what you are getting, and that there is no embarrassment with the bill after. Remember in Jakarta Dental bills can be astronomical (compared to Manila anyway) so better to be safe than sorry.
All images were taken via