One of the questions new expats ask in Jakarta is where to go for dental treatment. I was really lucky that a friend of mine, who has such a beautiful smile thanks to Dr. Ruby, recommended me to her clinic. Let me describe to you why I love going to Dr. Ruby Karyadi so you can decide for yourself if you would like to check her out.
- English-speaking – She and her staff speak English so making an appointment and discussing dental work detail was a breeze for an expat like me. It’s so scary to have any misunderstanding when it comes to teeth!
- Painless injections – I am normally a scaredy-cat when it comes to pain – sometimes I ask TD to hold my hand while I am getting injections. It’s crazy that I didn’t even realize that I was getting an injection until a part of my mouth started feeling a bit numb.
- Microscopic accuracy – When my molar broke and Dr. Ruby reconstructed my tooth and the other times she examined my teeth, she uses a microscope so she can see every detail and every crack. How cool is that?
- Affordable root canal – If I recall correctly I only paid IDR 1.500.000 for a root canal. That is so much cheaper than what I’ve heard my other expat friends have paid for a root canal in Jakarta. One of my male friends paid around 5 or 6 hundred dollars for one. Can you imagine?
- Orthodontic treatment – It’s nice to go to a dentist who doesn’t just do general dentistry but is also an Orthodontist and Cosmetic Dentist who performs bridges, crowns, dentures, braces, veneer and other procedures.
- Office interiors – Her office is so lovely and clean that it’s more like entering a spa. It’s so relaxing which is nice when one has a broken molar for repair.
I wish I took pictures of her clinic but usually when I go I am also passing by GrandLucky Superstore to do my groceries so I’m always in a hurry.
DIPLO TIP: 1) When going to any dentist be very clear about exactly what you want done AND what you don’t want done before any procedure. You don’t want surprise in your bill afterwards. Don’t be embarrassed to say something like “So today we will just be doing x and y?” 2) Don’t be afraid to ask about the cost of the treatment before undergoing any procedure. These two tips helps make sure you are happy with what you are getting, and that there is no embarrassment with the bill after. Remember in Jakarta Dental bills can be astronomical (compared to Manila anyway) so better to be safe than sorry.
Read about Dr. Ruby’s educational background
Dr. Ruby Karyadi featured on the Jakarta Post
Dr. Ruby Dental Clinic
Plaza ASIA 9TH floor, Jl. Jend. Sudirman Kav. 59, Jakarta 12190 MAP
021 5140 1278 / 79
All images were taken via
How’s your tooth right now? DId you do any crown replacement? Is she good? Is her technique good? I am so scared becoz the dentist that I visited last time did not do a good job. Before the crown replacement, I didn’t feel any tingling on my problem tooth but since then…hemmm…I couldn’t even chew with that tooth. Your input is appreciated. Thanks! W
The tooth is great. Her technique is amazing and very precise which I like because she does the procedure under a microscope to make sure everything is perfect. I love Dr. Ruby and she’s the best dentist I’ve been to so far. I wish I could bring her to Germany haha! You just have to be very clear on what you want her to do. Good luck with your tooth.
She did such a good job! I can’t believe how perfect the repair was that it fits my invisalign bite guard perfectly. Something similar happened to one of my front tooth here in Berlin and the dentist charged me 500 euros and it just kept breaking off. I was really disappointed and I wish I could still go to Dr. Ruby. I hope you get your problem fixed – good luck!
thanks for the info. I’ll try to schedule an appointment and see how it goes.
Good luck! I hope you are satisfied with her service.
After reading the above post, I decided to give Dr Ruby a go…. I cannot thank Dr Ruby enough, she is wonderful and an amazing Dentist… so good I want to go back (I usually hate the Dentist). I have been to Dentists in Australia, Thailand, Bali and New Zealand… without any doubt Dr Ruby is the greatest… thank you so much.