I’ve posted photos of this on my Instagram and have gotten requests for the recipe. This has been in “draft” mode for a while – I’m so sorry I thought I had already posted it. I found this recipe via Pinterest, where I find most of my recipes. So here it is, the recipe from Martha Stewart.
- Prep Time: 15 minutes
- Total Time: 35 minutes
- Yield: Makes 6
- 3 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted
- 8 slices white or whole-wheat sandwich bread
- 6 slices bacon
- 6 large eggs
- Coarse salt and ground pepper
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- Lightly butter 6 standard muffin cups.
- With a rolling pin, flatten bread slices slightly and, with a 4 1/4-inch cookie cutter, cut into 8 rounds. Use a knife if you don’t have this.
- Cut each round in half, then press 2 halves into each muffin cup, overlapping slightly and making sure bread comes up to edge of cup. Use extra bread to patch any gaps.
- Brush bread with remaining butter.
- In a large skillet, cook bacon over medium, until almost crisp, 4 minutes, flipping once. (It will continue to cook in the oven.)
- Lay 1 bacon slice in each bread cup and crack an egg over each.
- Season with salt and pepper.
- Bake until egg whites are just set, 20 to 25 minutes.
- Run a small knife around cups to loosen toasts. Serve immediately.
Standard muffin pans come in 6- or 12-cup size; if baking 6 items in a 12-cup pan, leave empty space in between. Nonstick pans are nice but not essential. Beware of very thin pans, which often lead to burning. Place pans on a baking sheet to make them easier to get in and out of the oven.
Try (this recipe) cooked, crumbled sausage in place of bacon or make a vegetarian version with sautéed spinach. Dress things up with a sprinkle of Parmesan cheese.
Photos of the bacon, egg and toast cups from my kitchen below via Instagram and and my dead tumblr. I like microwaving my bacon so it stays as cripsy as possible while inside that egg, just like I did in this bacon pancake recipe. To see how I microwave bacon (so simple) click here!
Click here for more yummy-looking recipes! This recipe is so simple it’s a definite must try! I’d love to know if you end up doing this recipe… send me photos of your creation on firstname.lastname@example.org! =)