I was inspired by an instagram photo of @janablanco of these bacon pancakes so today I made some using my cheat/treat-day Oscar Meyer bacon They cost an arm and a leg in Jakarta, but definitely worth it for an occasional weekend treat, because the local bacon tastes funny to me. See how simple it is to make!
I make my own pancake mix using ingredients in the cupboard and this pancake recipe.
- 1 cup buttermilk – I use this super easy buttermilk substitute
- 1/2 cup flour
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 egg
- 1/8 cup canola oil
- 1 tbsp sugar
- Additional milk to thin batter, as needed
- Add dry ingredients to buttermilk, then add eggs and oil
- Mix well and thin with additional milk, if needed
- Once your mix is ready, place it inside a ketchup bottle/dispenser for precision pancake-making – haha! (I think I got this idea from 101gramsofeyecandy or ocmominmanila) My ketchup bottle sorta looks like below. (Photo via)
- Place strips of bacon on top of about 4 sheets of paper towels, then top with more 4 more sheets of paper towels. (Like a bacon paper towel sandwich!) Pat to make sure that bacon inside is nice and snug.
- Microwave on high for about 5 to 6 minutes. Check every few minutes to make sure you don’t burn your bacon. (this is an awesome way to guarantee that your bacon is super crispy + doesn’t get soggy inside your pancake + and fat is cooked off)
- The bacon will shrink and the fat will cook off. When it’s completely done the fat will still feel soft, but after a few minutes it will end up dry and crispy too.
- Once your bacon is done, fire up your pan and brush on some butter.
- Plop your bacon on the pan, and squirt pancake mix on top of it.
- Once the bottom is set and golden, flip on to the other side.
- Flip on to your plate once done and repeat.
- Serve with pure maple syrup on top! YUMMmmmm!
Oscar Meyer bacon is very hard to find here in Jakarta. There was only one left in Ranch Market so I grabbed it. I 8oz pack is IDR 92,000 (about USD 10 or Php 500). Crazy right?!?
Not that I encourage premixed pancakes because they are more expensive but can you believe that they actually sell Bacon Pancake Mix with bacon bits inside?? (“Finally a pancake mix that is bold enough to say eat me!” – LOL!)