I got requests for this recipe when I posted a photo on my Instagram so here I am posting it! This is a great healthy spread option. You can use it instead of butter for bread. I first discovered this at Chelsea Restaurant in Serendra Highstreet and TD really enjoys it when I make it. The best thing about it is how simple and healthy it is!
Roasted Garlic Spread Ingredients
- A head of Garlic (or as many as you need if you are hosting a dinner)
- Sea salt – I like to use big chunks of sea salt like this Italian brand so it doesn’t disappear
- Balsamic Vinegar
- Olive Oil
How to Make Roasted Garlic Spread
- Peel the outer layers to expose the cloves
- Chope of the tops of the cloves to expose the garlic inside
- Place inside a foil
- Drizzle with balsamic vinegar and oil
- Generously sprinkle with salt (don’t use the mill or grinder, just place as is)
- Wrap up with foil
- Place inside a toaster oven, making sure that none of the foil touches the top and bottom heating elements (this is for safety reasons)
- Remove after about 30 minutes or when the garlic is soft when pressed with a spoon
- Unwrap carefully once the foil cools down and place in small bowls for easy handling. The garlic should be easy to remove with a knife.
- Spread on warm toasted bread. Drizzle a bit more extra virgin olive oil on top, before having a bite!
Drizzle with extra virgin olive oil and balsamic and serve with a nice loaf bread and eat immediately. Great as an appetizer or a side dish, instead of the usual olive oil & balsamic dip. Makes for a fabulous (but easy) appetizer for parties.
When making several pieces place the garlic heads inside muffin/cupcake tins like this recipe. And you can either cover peeled clothes with extra virgin olive oil or puree and store.