You can tell via my posts on furniture and decor that I love Interior Design. I’ve always wanted to learn how to do a floor plan so that I can make sure that everything fits in a room, and I can visualize where everything will go before I start purchasing things. I thought I would have to take a special course on it, but guess what?!? Apple made an app (for iPhone4/iPad) that allows you to create a professional floor plan in seconds! (30 seconds per room to be exact!) The BEST thing about it is its FREE!!
I just died and went to housewife heaven when I heard about MAGIC PLAN from a friend (Silly me can’t remember which one of my fab twitter/FB friends I heard it from right now – but if you are the one, gimme a holler please! And thank you!!!). And immediately when I tweeted about it, my friends (Jenn, a realtor and sometimes speed decorator, and Tin who owns the very fabulous PLC107 furniture store) immediately downloaded the app and loved it. It really helps us thrifty DIY interior decorators.
It sounds almost to good to be true but here’s how it works- just take a picture of each corner of your room and Magic Plan does the rest. It measure the walls and doors of the room and creates a plan based off the pictures you took.
- It took me a few minutes to watch the tutorials and a few more to practice each tutorial. In under 30 mins I was using the app fairly well!
- When you get a hang of taking the shape of the room, you must calibrate it to increase accuracy
- After calibrating, if it’s still not correct then you can move walls until the dimensions are exact
- Then you can start modifying the windows/doors and adding other fixed items (sink, counter, etc.)
- Houzz (free) – With over 60,000 photos and 130,000 idea books from professionally interiored homes you can save onto your personal idea book. The digital equivalent of clipping from magazines and placing them in an album.
- Color Capture by Benjamin Moore (free) – Take a picture of anything you love and it will extract the colors (show you a gradient), then shake to coordinating colors. Awesome.
- Click here for a list of other super smart interior design apps for iPhone/iPad you may wanna check out!