Our stay in Germany was short but oh so sweet. We were there for only 2.5 years yet I got to see so much of it thanks to the diplomatic spouses club, WILLKOMMEN IN BERLIN, which is sponsored by the German government. I also did intensive German classes 5 days a week when I arrived so I do speak some basic Deutch. I was also pregnant with DiploBaby & gave birth to him there. We left when he was only 4 months old.
Basically, it was a whirlwind! This is why I may not have been able to write a blog post about everything I did, but I did live life to the fullest when I was there. I was a pro at commuting to get around, not just in Berlin but also in other cities. It’s very safe & the transport system is a dream.
If you would like to see my posts on what to do, where to eat, shop & important information on Berlin I have a separate page for my favorite city to live in so far & where my son DiploBaby was born. We did go back there on a trip so you can see what we did here:
See our Berlin 2022 Itinerary
GOOD TO KNOW
- Buying an U-Bahn Ticket
- Tips for Using Public Transportation in Berlin
- Budgeting for a Trip to Berlin for those traveling to Berlin on holiday
- Berlin in Summer without AC
- Is Public Drinking allowed?
- 6 Tips to Stay Comfortable in Winter
- How to Cross the Street Like a Local in Berlin
- What’s Open in Berlin on Sundays?
- What is Open in Berlin on Christmas Day?
- Why You Should Learn Survival German Phrases
- What are the Brass Plaques on German Sidewalks?
- What are the Big Pipes Criss-crossing Berlin?
- Flying Easy Jet from Berlin to Geneva with a child
- Interior Design Inspiration from Concorde Hotel
- Concorde Hotel Breakfast Buffet
- BUROMA Affordable Apartelle in Ku’damm
- Hotel De Rome Tour and Luxurious Design
WHAT TO DO
- Festival of Lights
- 25 Years after the Fall of the Wall
- What Christmas Markets are open on Christmas Day and Beyond?
WHERE TO EAT
- Hotel Nepomuk Bamberg my favorite hotel that’s literally on top of a river, never experienced anything like this before or after!
- Eckerts Bamberg smoked beer (like bacon!) & delicious food
- Medieval Bamberg Cathedral
- Bamberg a UNESCO World Heritage Treasure
- Smoked Beer With A View
- Schloss Seehof a castle near Bamberg
- Prince Pückler’s Branitzer Park and Palace [TEMPORARILY CLOSED]
- Dresden Hotel and Transport
- Dresden Bites
- Dresden Travel Hitlist
- Lunch at Schloss Moritzburg – a memorable castle to visit if you are already in the Dresden area!
GOOD TO KNOW
WHERE WE STAYED
WHAT TO DO
WHERE TO EAT
Hamburg is a really posh city. If in Berlin you will see all sorts of different people – artsy, hipster, etc – Hamburg is the preppy, posh capital. I seriously love this city. If you want to shop for preppy, posh things for yourself, home or dog, this is the place to do it. I hope I have more time to do posts on it!
- AQUATIS Aquarium-Vivarium discounted tickets 5pm onwards is perfect to see everything
- Mercedes Benz Factory Rastatt near Stuttgart, we picked up our car in the factory
- Metzingen Outlet City Near Stuttgart, this outlet is quite literally a city. It’s not a mall or complex. My favorite outlet so far because of the brands + beautiful places to eat. A must for lovers of luxury brands or those like me who love German home brands like WMF & Zwilling. They are so well made that they last a lifetime. Outside of Germany they are expensive but in German outlet stores when on sale they are surprisingly affordable.
- Maritim Hotel
- Steak Room