Thanks to getting sick, I’ve lost a little weight (silver lining!) and it’s given me encouragement and strengthened my resolve to keep up the fight against the bulge!
Last night I had clear beef and noodle soup, and salad for dinner. I skipped the chicken curry which we prepared so as not to starve our dinner guests. I was guilty of indulging in some of the freshly baked banana bread. (How could I not?!) But I felt good knowing I sacrificed the main course for it. (Under normal circumstances I would have had soup, salad, main course AND dessert!) YEY to mini victories!
Today we had light breakfast of a small piece of left-over banana bread with Carribean Nut coffee. Compare this to my normal favorite “-silog” breakfasts of tapa/tocino/hotdog/corned beef/vienna sausage, sinangag (garlic fried rice) and itlog (fried/scrambled egg) – it was a victory indeed!
*Note: “-silog” breakfast are very popular in the Philippines. Examples:
- TAPSILOG = TAPa (fried cured beef slices) + SInangag + itLOG
- TOSILOG = TOcino (sweetened cured pork) + SInangag + itLOG
- LONGSILOG = LONGganisa + SInangag + itLOG
For lunch, I prepared corn soup and toasted some focaccia bread. I didn’t end up eating the bread because, as TD (TheDiplomat) correctly pointed out, it didn’t compliment the soup well. The soup was so filling, I was quite full after one bowl! It was a hit with TD – he came back for seconds. Here’s the super simple recipe. Adapted from the Periplus mini cookbook, Fast Chicken.
Grilled Chicken and Corn soup
- Serves 2-3
- Ready to eat in 30 mins
- Approximately 250 calories per ser
- 3 cups chicken stock I placed chicken bouillon granules
- 380 g creamed corn
- 1 tbsp finely chopped onions
- 1/2 – 1 tsp grated fresh ginger Adjust to your taste, I don’t like ginger so I used only 1/2 tsp
- 1 tsp cornflour
- 1 egg white
- 1/2 tsp soy sauce (to your taste)
- 1 cup sliced grilled chicken
- 1/3 cup short pasta I used a mixture of left over macaroni and shell pasta
- Spray olive oil to coat the bottom of a non-stick pot and sautee the onion and ginger briefly
- Add the chicken stock, creamed corn and slowly bring to a boil for 2 minutes, then add the pasta.
- Add corn-flour to 1 tbsp water in a small bowl and mix to a smooth paste. Gradually add to the soup, stirring until the soup boils and thickens.
- Lower the fire to simmer for 2 mins.
- Whisk egg white and 1 tbsp water in a small bowl and slowly add to the soup in a thin stream, stirring continuously to combine. Do not allow the mixture to boil.
- Add the soy sauce and sliced grilled chicken. Stir to combine and simmer for 2-3 minutes or until the chicken is heated through and the pasta is cooked.
- Optional: Garnish with chopped cilantro. Use Parsley if you don’t have any.
I can’t seem to find my card reader, so I wasn’t able to post the pic. Will post a pic of the soup, as soon as I find it! =P