Thanks to getting sick, I’ve lost a little weight (silver lining!) and it’s given me encouragement and strengthened my resolve to keep up the fight against the bulge!
Last night I had clear beef and noodle soup, and salad for dinner. I skipped the chicken curry which we prepared so as not to starve our dinner guests. I was guilty of indulging in some of the freshly baked banana bread. (How could I not?!) But I felt good knowing I sacrificed the main course for it. (Under normal circumstances I would have had soup, salad, main course AND dessert!) YEY to mini victories!
Today we had light breakfast of a small piece of left-over banana bread with Carribean Nut coffee. Compare this to my normal favorite “-silog” breakfasts of tapa/tocino/hotdog/corned beef/vienna sausage, sinangag (garlic fried rice) and itlog (fried/scrambled egg) – it was a victory indeed!
*Note: “-silog” breakfast are very popular in the Philippines. Examples:
- TAPSILOG = TAPa (fried cured beef slices) + SInangag + itLOG
- TOSILOG = TOcino (sweetened cured pork) + SInangag + itLOG
- LONGSILOG = LONGganisa + SInangag + itLOG
For lunch, I prepared corn soup and toasted some focaccia bread. I didn’t end up eating the bread because, as TD (TheDiplomat) correctly pointed out, it didn’t compliment the soup well. The soup was so filling, I was quite full after one bowl! It was a hit with TD – he came back for seconds. Here’s the super simple recipe. Adapted from the Periplus mini cookbook, Fast Chicken.
Grilled Chicken and Corn soup
- Serves 2-3
- Ready to eat in 30 mins
- Approximately 250 calories per ser
- 3 cups chicken stock I placed chicken bouillon granules
- 380 g creamed corn
- 1 tbsp finely chopped onions
- 1/2 – 1 tsp grated fresh ginger Adjust to your taste, I don’t like ginger so I used only 1/2 tsp
- 1 tsp cornflour
- 1 egg white
- 1/2 tsp soy sauce (to your taste)
- 1 cup sliced grilled chicken
- 1/3 cup short pasta I used a mixture of left over macaroni and shell pasta
- Spray olive oil to coat the bottom of a non-stick pot and sautee the onion and ginger briefly
- Add the chicken stock, creamed corn and slowly bring to a boil for 2 minutes, then add the pasta.
- Add corn-flour to 1 tbsp water in a small bowl and mix to a smooth paste. Gradually add to the soup, stirring until the soup boils and thickens.
- Lower the fire to simmer for 2 mins.
- Whisk egg white and 1 tbsp water in a small bowl and slowly add to the soup in a thin stream, stirring continuously to combine. Do not allow the mixture to boil.
- Add the soy sauce and sliced grilled chicken. Stir to combine and simmer for 2-3 minutes or until the chicken is heated through and the pasta is cooked.
- Optional: Garnish with chopped cilantro. Use Parsley if you don’t have any.
The thing that gives a little oomph to this recipe is the grilled chicken. Usually this simple comfort food is done with boiled chicken. However the grilled chicken makes it so much tastier!
READ: SIMPLE GRILLED CHICKEN RECIPE
I can’t seem to find my card reader, so I wasn’t able to post the pic. Will post a pic of the soup, as soon as I find it! =P
Movie Recipes says
I like the idea!!..I’ll post it on my site!!
devoted to serving movie buffs and foodies..
See it, believe it!!
Thanks Movie Recipes! Please give me the exact link when you do! =D