I finally got some guest mattresses made! The best thing about them is that they fold, for easy storage when they are not in use! I got the idea from my friend Lia, who has a few for when her kids want to sleep in the room with them. I don’t know why I waited so long to have them made.
I got the black foam, and the standard cotton mix fabric in a preppy beige color. I didn’t make it too thick because it’s not going to be used everyday. I would recommend thicker use for something that will be used more often. For kids, I think the thickness is fine because they are lighter. I also requested for zippers so that I can remove the cover and wash it.
When I laid it out at home, guess who quickly plopped on top?!? DiploDog! He probably thought, “Yay new bed for me!” Haha!
If you go to this mattress-maker in Kemang, you can decide on…
- What kind of foam to use
- How thick
- How many times it will fold when stored
- What fabric and color
…based on what you need it for and your budget! They have all kinds of options! It’s a teeny-tiny place in Kemang, at the beginning of the same street and side as Cayenne.
This kind of folding-mattress is useful for:
- Guests who are couch surfing
- thinner ones for children’s play-mats
- temporary mattresses for kids in their parent’s room
Hmmmm…What other uses can you think of? I’d love it if you could add to my list!
1. While you are inquiring and negotiating, ask him to write down the pricing and explain so you know what the different cost are. He usually breaks it down into 1) foam, 2) fabric/material cost and 3) labor. So you know where you can adjust your design, to cut on cost. The second time I returned to order a smaller mattress one week after, I was very surprised that he quoted a higher price! It took a while to sort out that something smaller should not cost more. I got a $5 discount on a much smaller folding mattress, but I’m trying not to feel too bad. The service is fast after all. And I haven’t found any other place that makes the same item. So just pay attention to what you are being charged for, and double-check the calculation.
2. When I picked up my second order, it was more difficult than the first time. He claimed I didn’t order an extra cover for the smaller mattress. I had to insist he check what he wrote down on the receipt. I paid for a second cover. Then he said I can get the 4pcs and come back for the last pc tomorrow, but I had to pay in full today. So I told him, I can get partial (2pcs) today and come back for the (3pcs) and pay the balance tomorrow. He didn’t want. So I told him I would come back for my complete order the next day and pay in full the next day. Why would I pay in total, if my complete order hasn’t been fulfilled? It just didn’t make sense to me. The main thing is I should’ve ordered everything the first time around because they are still trying to get business from me. And the second order was nowhere as fast or as easy as before – I had to be on my toes. Have everything written down in the receipt, because his memory is not very good and you could get less than what you paid for.
All in all, my only regret is not having my orders made on my first visit so I could have gotten better prices. But I am happy with the mattress themselves. I don’t know any other place that does this with someone who speaks English and these prices. If you do have other recommendations, I’d love to hear from you.
Other items that they can do for you (but some basic Bahasa is required):
- Full sized mattresses
- Window treatments/curtains
- Throw pillows and other textile needs
Related Jakarta Finds:
- Where to get custom-made slip covers, curtains and beddings in Jakarta
- Where to get clothes altered, maid’s uniforms and other custom made textile needs (English speaking shop)
KEEP IN TOUCH WITH ME ON
- Jl. Kemang Selatan VIII / 67 D Jakarta Selatan
- 021 7180606
- Look for Pak Hasan, he knows how to speak a little English