I used to have so many bottles in my laundry area. I had one product each for:
- Delicates (for silks & wools)
- Non-chlorine Bleach
Then when we had a baby and started using reusable diapers + shifted to reusable pads, I had to add another one to the list:
- Baby detergent that’s safe for reusables
You need a separate detergent for reusable diapers/pads, because the normal detergents leave a film that causes the reusables to loose their absorbency. This is what also ruins towels and possibly keeps those pit stains locked in.
I was so frustrated with the amount of laundry items I had and they weren’t cheap either. So I decided to test something out. What if I used baby detergent for all our clothes?
WHY BABY DETERGENT?
I did a lot of reading on this and basically regular detergents contain chemical additives that are not only bad for the environment (they are not biodegradable and will harm sea/freshwater animals if released into the environment) but also can irritate sensitive baby skin.
Non-biodegradable materials can stick around for hundreds of years, polluting the environment and leaching toxic chemicals into the soil and water.– The Problem with Optical Brighteners, HELLO NATURAL LIVING
What about detergents for sensitive skin that are fragrance/dye-free? They would probably still contain some of the ff:
- Fabric softener
- Optical or UV brighteners
- Chlorine bleach
- Stain guards
SOFTENERS can cause residue build-up or retention of bacteria and ammonia which will result in an unpleasant odor. If not rinsed properly these additives can also affect baby’s sensitive skin. Why risk it right?
OPTICAL BRIGHTENER add chemicals to your clothes, instead of removing stains – like an optical illusion. It’s better & safer to use the sun to whiten your clothes instead of loading your clothes with chemicals that can affect your skin and lungs.
Optical brighteners may be potentially toxic to humans and “Aminotriazine- or stilbene-based whiteners may cause developmental and reproductive effects.”– Optical Brighteners Not Needed, THE SPRUCE
These substances can also bioaccummulate into aquatic life and pose a hazard over extended period of time not just to aquatic life but also to the humans who consume them. Source: ALKUHME
Another thing to be wary of are chemical scents that contain VOCs or Volatile Organic Compounds. I’m happy because Tiny Buds uses only Natural Fragrances.
Using scented products (which include items such as perfumes, hair sprays, air fresheners, and paints) emit the same amount of chemical vapors as petroleum emissions from cars– Perfume Air Pollution Study, ALLURE
I don’t want my baby to be exposed to any of these nasty ingredients so we also shifted our whole household, even the helper’s clothes, because we all deserve nasty-free products that won’t cause skin and respiratory irritation. Besides babies are in close contact with our clothes when we carry and cuddle them. It’s not worth asthma and skin problems!
CAN I USE BABY DETERGENT FOR ALL OUR CLOTHING?
After years of using Tiny Buds New Born Laundry Detergent, I can happily answer you yes! And guess what? My blacks are still black, my whites are still super white and coloreds are still – you guessed it! – vibrantly colored!
Be sure to test first if you are using a different brand. My laundry area is simple now. Just 1 detergent for all + stain remover + non-chlorine bleach. That’s it! It really simplified our lives, laundry area & routine.
We can now wash our laundry together and save water. Just place baby’s clothes in a separate laundry bag from the adults clothing laundry bag. We use laundry bags for everything we place inside our washing machine. This helps keep clothes in good condition for longer.
The next question is always:
AREN’T BABY DETERGENTS EXPENSIVE?
Yes a lot of them are and this basically discourages people from using it for the whole family. But thank God I found a powerful and effective plant-based product that’s affordable locally, called Tiny Buds. It’s so concentrated that I only need to use very little.
I love the Tiny Buds liquid laundry detergent because it’s natural, only uses natural fragrance and super concentrated.
I only use 1 TABLESPOON Tiny Buds Liquid Laundry detergent per 7.5kg washing machine load! You read that right! The reason I am able to do this is because I have a really amazing laundry hack below.
If you don’t have Tiny Buds in your area, you can test whatever baby detergent you have to see if 1 tbsp will do. But do not forget to apply the hacks below too so you don’t need to add detergent for laundry that is soiled. These hacks have saved us money for detergent & replacing stained/ruined clothes.
MONEY-SAVING LAUNDRY HACKS
- Place all your laundry into laundry bags when using a washing machine.
- Do not mix heavier fabrics with lighter fabrics in the wash. For example, I always wash towels, large beddings & jeans separately. Each of these categories is washed separately because they weigh more and/or are much larger. They will damage smaller, lighter items if washed together.
- Prevent stains instead of removing them. The moment you get a stain or as soon as you can, spray immediately with a solution of 1/3 liquid laundry detergent + 2/3 water, before throwing it into the laundry basket. I keep a spray bottle of this solution near the laundry hamper in each of our bathrooms.
- If you each take responsibility to spray stains and stinky bits (underarm, crotch, collar, etc) before throwing things in the laundry, it is more effective and saves more time than expecting one person to pretreat & spray all these areas before doing a load of laundry. This is the reason why I can use only 1 tbsp per 7.5 load. I recommend you experiment until you get the least amount of soap you need per load in your washing machine.
- Never dry and iron stains because this makes them permanent. This applies to pit-stains too. I can’t tell you how many clothes were ruined until we applied the spray your own stinkies/dirt bits rule in our home.
- Also have a small basin in your bathroom, so you can spray & soak used reusable diapers and pads. The reason we soak this is so that the urine/blood doesn’t dry. For other items, just spray with the diluted laundry soap. NO NEED TO ADD WATER.
- You can use old spray bottles or you can buy spray bottles from here.
- Or you can just have Tiny Buds Laundry & Stain Remover spray in each bathroom.
This natural & fast-acting stain remover can be used for all your stain removing needs. Not just for baby. Remove tough stains from family’s clothes, beddings & towels without any harsh chemicals.
- Made with Natural Enzymes that loosen tough stains quickly before washing.
- No pre-soaking needed so saves time and water! Just spray ASAP on the stain before throwing in the wash.
- Works amazing on organic stains like
- dirty diaper stains
- baby food
- baby formula
- dairy products (milk & cheese)
- and so much more!
- IMPORTANT TO NOTE: Will not work on ink therefore it will also not fade the color of your clothes.
- Simple step by step instructions in the video below.
I love how Tiny Buds Baby has helped me simplify & save over the past 4 years SO MUCH that I wanted to share their wonderful, natural, nasty-free products to you guys. This is why I asked if they would sponsor this giveaway. Thank you for agreeing Tiny Buds Team & being so generous!!!
Thank you to everyone who joined our Instagram giveaway last 27 May. We really appreciated getting to know so many of you better and hearing your stories as moms. We really felt all the love!
The THREE LUCKY WINNERS of all the Tiny Buds Baby products pictured below worth Php 1,130 are:
It was a difficult decision because there were a lot of entries, but we got to know these winners on a personal level that made them the 3 most unforgettable.
Congratulations winners! Please don’t forget to DM your complete Metro Manila shipping details to Tiny Buds Baby, so they can ship your prizes via Lalamove.