Okay first weekend of our DIET = EPIC FAIL! I know, I know I said 2 weeks more till Phuket… But it couldn’t be helped! Wanna know why??
Friday was the Ambassadors birthday. And after shopping for 5 hours (speed-walking the whole time!) on only 4 hours of sleep I was exhausted and hungry, then presented with a smorgasbord of food! Food that made me miss home: Pancit Malabon, kiddie spaghetti, shrimps, lumpia AND lechon (roast suckling pig) among many other dishes. There were also 3 different kinds of heavenly cheesecakes from The Harvest Cakeshop – strawberry was the best. We also enjoyed some good wine – I had a glass or three hehe! =P All my reward for a hard days work helping my hubby.
Saturday we had dinner at Din Tai Fung (will do a separate post on this), watched the movie The Expendables (will do a separate post on this) then had happy hour Heineken Draft beers at Dallas Roadhouse with their awesome Nachos. We shared that fun, fun night (and all the calories that came with it) with 2 other couple friends K, D, LM and SM.
Today we caught up with diplo friends ES and JS. We thought we were just going to have lunch at the American Club, but they brought us to this awesome Indian restaurant, Ganesha in Kemang, for Sunday South Indian buffet lunch. My favorite dishes were the paneer, papadams, cheese and garlic naan. I didn’t bring my camera so I wasn’t able to take pics of the yummy food. But we will definitely come back to take pictures!
The hubby and I continued to the mall to buy some needed supplies and my hubby wanted to have ice cream. Okay let me set this straight: I am not really a massive fan of ice cream. However there is one thing I cannot resist: Cream and Fudge’s Chocolate Lover’s ice cream. It is absolute heaven for any choco-lover: super premium chocolate ice cream, moist brownie squares and dark chocolate chips mixed on a frozen marble stone, then topped with rich, thick chocolate fudge sauce.
We then proceeded to go malling (one of the favorite past-times of Jakarta dwellers) for 6 straight hours. By the time we got home our feet and legs hurt. At least we burned some of the calories! Here’s our sorta-healthy dinner.
Grilled Chicken, Bacon, Lettuce and Tomato Sandwich
- Marinate chicken strips in Royco liquid seasoning (Maggie Chicken cubes will do) for a minimum of 1 hour to overnight in your fridge
- Heat pan on high, spray chicken with olive oil, and place chicken strips on the hot pan
- Sear the chicken on one side (we like ours a little burnt/browned) then spray oil on the top side and turn over
- Sear the other side of the chicken *Note: not I only turn the chicken once so make sure it’s properly cooked on one side to your liking before you turn
- When the second side is browned to perfection, place on a plate to let it cool, before cutting the chicken into cubes or strips (I reco strips because they don’t fall of the sandwich as easily)
- Time for the bacon: I defrost the bacon beforehand, then place 2-3 paper towels on a microwavable plate.
- Place the strips of bacon (1-2 strips per sandwich) flat on the plate with about 0.5-1 inch in between strips
- Top with another 2-3 paper towels, pat flat onto the bacon
- Place in the microwave on HIGH for 2 mins and check if it’s crispy. If it’s not then place for another 2 mins until it is. But check every 2 mins because they bacon can become overdone and will not taste very good.*One of the secrets to this recipe is the way we cook the bacon. It must be microwaved. It makes it a lot less oily, very crunch (never soggy) and very flavorful1
- Once bacon is ready, place a thin layer of Spicy Brown Mustard or Bull’s Eye BBQ Sauce or Honey Dijon Mustard (this really depends on your taste) on the bread, then assemble the rest of the ingredients on the bread.
- Serve and enjoy immediately.
I guess the diet is starting tomorrow. Monday, we promise! LOL. Stay tuned for separate posts on Din Tai Fun and The Expendables.