I was getting hungry while waiting for our domestic flight to depart in NAIA 3 so we went to the convenience store to buy a snack when these colorful mini-Jeepney carts caught my eye! To my delight they were selling yummy healthy Malunggay snack products! If you see these babies around Manila or anywhere in the Philippines, you should grab a bag!
Malunggay Scientific Name : Moringa Oleifera
Also known as: “Malunggáy” in Philippines, “Sajina” in India, “Shojne” in Bengal, “Munagakaya” in Telugu, “Shenano” in Rajasthani, “Shevaga” in Marathi, “Nuggekai” in Kannada, “Drumstick Tree, Horse Radish Tree, Ben Oil Tree” in English, “La mu” in Chinese.
TD and I bought Malunggay Shing-Aling and Malunggay Garlic Taro Chips (not pictures). They were so good! And cheaper than the other Malunggay products that I’ve seen at Php 50 per pack. I am sure it is even cheaper outside the airport. The Shing-aling (a local Filipino snack) was good, but the GARLIC TARO CHIPS were mind-blowingly amazing! Even my siblings and dad loved them!
I was also proud to discover that this Pinoy Agri-Kart product is by our very own Department of Agriculture! What a great project! Bringing the humble but powerful Malunggay to the public into such a YUMMY way. Does anyone know where else these Pinoy Agri-Kart products can be found outside the airport? Please drop me a line! I would love to buy more when I go back to the Philippines!
Malunggay is definitely one of those superfoods. Here are a few reasons that the Moringa is called “The Miracle Tree” (source: Moringa Malunggay)
- Gram for gram, moringa leaves contain: SEVEN times the vitamin C in oranges, FOUR times the Calcium in milk, FOUR times the vitamin A in carrots, TWO times the protein in milk and THREE times the Potassium in bananas.
- Moringa contains more than 90 nutrients and 46 types of antioxidants. With all the health benefits of moringa, it can easily be termed as the most nutritious plant on the face of the earth.
- Moringa has 18 amino acids, including the eight essentials – the ones your body can not survive without but can not manufacture on its own; they must be supplied through diet.
- Moringa is as good a source of roughage as carrots but has quadruple the beta carotene content. It also has plenty of omega-3 oils and chlorophyll, plus 45 compounds with antioxidant properties and 36 with anti-inflammatory properties.
- It can help reduce cholesterol and triglycerides, control blood sugar, and offer anti-aging and anti-inflammatory substances, many of which have anti-cancer properties.
There is so much more! Click here to find out more benefits! With all the benefits it is no wonder Malunggay is now all the rage in the Philippines and Filipinos are coming up with yummier ways to enjoy this miraculous plant (aside from the Malunggay Soup that all our mommies would make us eat when we were young LOL!) *Note: You can also find different brands of organic/natural malunggay products at my favorite ECHOstore.
LET’S KEEP IN TOUCH ON FACEBOOK / TWITTER / BLOGLO
Aling Malunggay and Aling Ampalaya says
Hi Ms. Diplomatic Wife,
Try my Aling Malunggay and Aling Ampalaya Capsule.
Hi there, where are these capsules available?