…To quote the commentator in last nights football friendly match against the defending champs (AND host country) Vietnam. TD and I were able to watch the amazing game via live internet streaming and we were ecstatic and amazed at the first goal, then just jumped for joy in our study room when the 2nd goal was made.
Congratulations Philippine Team!
They are currently top of Group B (composed of Myanmar, the defending champions Vietnam and the three-time champs Singapore) To emphasize what an amazing victory this was let me quote some of the news articles/posts about it:
Television commentators called it the biggest shock in the tournament’s history.
The Filipino team in the AFF Suzuki Cup stunned the defending champion, also the host country, Vietnam in front of 40,000 Vietnameseaudience held at the My Dinh Stadium, Hanoi.
The Philippines had to qualify to compete in this tournament, then played favorite Singapore to a draw, 1-1, before defeating powerhouse Vietnam before a home crowd. The hosts had demolished Myanmar, 7-1, in its previous match.
Vietnam now need to beat Singapore in their final game to guarantee their place in the last four, while the Lions (Singapore) just need a point.
(image: routers / daylife.com)
And in celebration of last night’s victory I am doing a post on Football hotties – Philippine edition tomorrow! Stay tuned!
- Click here to read about the game versus Singapore, who is the favorite for this Suzuki Cup and was ranked at No. 127 in the latest FIFA world rankings. The Filipinos are at No. 152.
- More on the Azkals/Suzuki Cup related experiences here in Jakarta:
- Pics of our lunch with the Azkals
- The frustrating experience of getting tickets for the games
- Highlights of the 2nd Game Philippines vs. Indonesia
- Watched the football game live! 1st leg Philippines vs. Indonesia – Suzuki Cup
- Highlights of 1st Game Philippines vs. Indonesia
- Philippines’ “Home” game to be played in Indonesia – Suzuki Cup
How exciting! Congratulations!!
i can’t wait the semi final between indonesia vs phillipinne,
go indonesia go!!
We are truly honored to be in the semi-finals and playing against Indonesia. We didn’t expect to get this far!
I didn’t even know we had a football team, but I’m glad we do. I hope we can compete for the next World Cup and I hope the government could build a stadium for the team.
To be honest the next world cup might be a little too soon for the Philippines. But I’m so glad that people are starting to become aware of it, and this win is a start for Filipinos to be more interested in football and start our youngsters early. And definitely having funding and infrastructure is needed so that football can flourish in our country and we can excel at it. Pinoys have a chance at the world stage in football, much more than basketball…. here’s to our football teams getting better and better!