I’ve tried Jamie Oliver’s recipe for Pukkolla and it’s great if:
- You have sweet berries available.
- You have enough time to do the grating (apples) and mashing (the bananas are SO much better mashed than sliced).
However after trying several variations, I realized simplicity is still best! After all, why put in all the effort and spend more if it tastes even better without? Here’s my simplified version:
- 8 large handfuls of organic rolled oats (used whole grain rolled oats)
- 2 large handfuls of ground bran (used oat bran)
- 1 handful of chopped dried raisins
- Another handful of chopped dried fruit (any berry will do or even dried mangoes)
- 1 handful of crumbled walnuts/unsalted roasted cashews
- 1 handful of smashed or chopped almonds, hazelnuts or brazil nuts (or any other nut)
- Mix em all together in an airtight container (this is good for about a month)
- For breakfast the next few days, place a few servings in a container (I use Lock & Lock’s glass container with lid) and add milk just to cover
- Place in the fridge overnight
- Next day, take out the amount you need and put the rest back in the fridge, it keeps for 2 or 3 days.
- To serve: It will be a little thick so add more milk and enjoy!
This is so much better than any store-bought cereal or muesli I’ve ever had!