After lunch at Tita Noreens, we planned a trip to the Gemstone Market with Ambeth Ocampo together with Maam T. Tita Noreen got us really intrigued by telling us there is this traditional market (imagine a wet market) that had gems laid out instead of fish! WHOA. This we had to see!
Unfortunately for us the traditional pasar or market had been renovated to a more modern and air-conditioned mall. The once 1 level open-air market was now a modern mall with several levels. It would have been nice to see the authentic pasar and I’m sure prices were cheaper before the renovation too.
The giant gold rings (R) in front were really apt because most of the rings we saw inside were massive (for some reason the word “Saudi” comes to mind). If you plan to come here be prepared:
- Despite the big “No Smoking” signs it is quite smoky. People still smoke inside the air-conditioned mall! ARGH! (Bring a handkerchief to cover your nose – I even saw someone with a face-mask!)
- Have a list of items you are shopping for. It is really overwhelming when you go in there!!! This wa my mental list:
- Pearl choker with pearls larger than my 2 strand pearl necklace
- Long necklace that I can wear with resort luxe outfits
- Bling-bling rings
- Statement necklace or bangle/bracelet
- It’s a long ride to the East of town so bring some refreshments. We brought water, dried mangoes, chocolates, candies, etc. which we definitely ate!
All kinds of stones, cheap and expensive out on display!
Rings ready for the stones you choose!
MASSIVE rings. The weird part is that these are for MEN! (as Jay pointed out below) But for me the craziest part is that there was so much more bling men’s ring for sale than women’s jewelry! Seriously?!? =O
They also sell silver and stainless steel jewelry. Be sure to check the quality closely before you buy.
We found this really interesting shop full of odds and ends!
Like wooden pipes and horsehoes! I got my best friend (who collects pipes from all over the world) an interesting looking pipe!
Don’t forget to bargain! Start with half the price. And walk away if it seems over-priced.
I love this candid shot of Ambeth Ocampo with the paintings and knick-knacks in the background.
Another strange shop
I ended the trip with the pearl shop to complete my shopping list!
I highly recommend this place if you are a hardcore bargain hunter like me who is willing to go far and suffer inconveniences for the sake of getting a good deal. It is SO much cheaper than shopping in the malls! I swear if I can help it I am never buying accessories in the mall again!
We were getting dizzy with smoke and hungry as it was way past lunch. So we had to go find a place to eat. (Boy was it an adventure! That’s for another post!)
I didn’t get to buy any gemstones – I think I need more planning for this so I can buy a good quality stone and have a design in mind already – but I did get to scope out what was available for future reference!
I did get to buy some nice things though for quite a steal! Stay tuned for pictures of my humble shopping loot from Pasar Rawa Bening tomorrow!
Jakarta Gemstone Market
- Pasar Rawa Bening, Jatinegara, Jakarta Timur (di depan stasiun kereta api)