Was recently inspired to try a new cupcake recipe when I saw this wonderful post, Magnolia Bakery Vanilla Cupcakes, on 80 Breakfasts’ food blog. She does such wonderful posts (well written, personal and honest) with AMAZING pictures, I just wanna try cooking everything in her blog! I tweaked the recipe a bit, as usual. Enjoy the pics!
At this point I did not have my Kitchen Aid Mixer yet so this was all done manually.
Magnolia Bakery Vanilla Cupcakes
- 1 cup salted butter
- 2 cups sugar
- 4 eggs
- 1 ½ cups self-raising flour
- 1 ¼ cups all-purpose flour
- 1 cup milk
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
1. Preheat oven to 350F.
2. Line two 12 cup muffin tins with cupcake papers.
3. Cream butter at medium speed in large bowl.
4. Add sugar gradually and beat until fluffy. Then add eggs.
5. Combine flours. Add to butter mixture in four parts, alternating with the milk and vanilla extract.
6. Spoon the batter into cups so they are ¾ full.
7. Bake until the tops spring back when touched, about 20 minutes.
Baking was halted midway because for some reason the oven turned off, and we could smell gas in the air. Had the technician take a look and continue baking soon after! Phew glad everything turned out okay!
Vanilla Buttercream Icing
- 2 sticks unsalted butter
- 8 cups confectioners’ sugar
- ½ cup milk
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
1. Place butter, milk, vanilla extract and 4 cups of sugar in a large mixing bowl and beat until smooth and creamy.
2. Gradually add the remaining sugar, once cup at a time until thick.
3. Spread icing on cooled cupcakes.
4. I added some sugar hearts and it looked so cute! Especially with my silicon cupcake molds
If you want to do away with single use cupcake liners, silicone cupcake molds are amazing!
This is definitely a winner! Such a drool-worthy cupcake – I am salivating just thinking about it! I agree with 80 Breakfasts, it has a sunshiny and cheery personality that can brighten anyone’s day! A delightful way to start your day (perfect with coffee) or a thoughtful gift to bring to a party.
It’s my first time ever to ice a cupcake – or anything for that matter! What do you think?