One of the reasons I was immediately at home in Berlin & was really able to explore & enjoy our posting in Germany is the Willkommen in Berlin (Welcome to Berlin) club.
Willkommen in Berlin is the only diplomatic club in Germany, affiliated with the Federal Foreign Office and under the patronage of the State Secretary Susanne Baumann. The club comprises about 300 members from well over 100 countries. Diplomats and their partners listed on the Foreign Office’s protocol index are eligible for membership.– WILLKOMMEN IN BERLIN
I was a member of about 3-5 activity groups and each month I was able to attend 3-5 events/tours that the amazing members – usually local ladies of stature – organize each month. It’s like a built in friend group. I really have the fondest memories or our posting in Germany because of this group.
I had so much time experiencing Berlin & Germany that I may not have been able to write about all the experiences so these are the highlights I was able to write on.
We choose our activity groups during the WIB WELCOME MORNING that we attend each year.
TOURS & ACTIVITIES I ATTENDED
ANTIQUES, PALACES & GARDENS
- Königliche Gartenakademie my happy place in Berlin & where I had our church wedding reception
- Hotel De Rome Tour and Luxurious Design super fab drinks with super fab view
- Prince Pückler’s Branitzer Park & Palace intersting to see how they lived in the past
- Villa Harteneck Interior Decor stunning decor
- Schloss Charlottenburg Christmas Market one of my fave Christmas markets
- Berlin Palace Humbolt Box
- Freemasons Grand Landlodge what an honor to learn about such a secretive society
- Track 17 Memorial never forget
- Stasi Archives and Museum Tour interesting to see how the Stasi operated
- Dine Blind at the Dunkelrestaurant Eating in pitch black where the waitstaff are blind – interesting!
- Underground Flak Tower Tour crazy! We were allowed to go in areas the public cant
DINNER IS SERVED
- WIB Colombian Food Cooking Demo hosted by the Colombian ambassador’s wife + delicious steaks
- Japanese Tea Ceremony
FIRST STEPS IN BERLIN
- Wilmersdorf Art and Culture beautiful winter garden + art museum
- WIB Meets German Master Florist of 2013 + Tour of Luxury Departmentstore Quartier 206
- See the DIY Advent Wreath I created
- Frau Tonis Parfum where you can create your own sent
- Berlin Zoo and old historical zoo that was bombed during the war
Of course it’s been a while so activity groups may have changed but I’m sure it’s still super interesting and gives so much joy to the Diplomats & their spouses.